Lauren In Tokyo

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Fujiyama beer

A week ago we took a drive out to Fuji-kyu Highland for a visit to their Thomas Land park. It was a blast. You should definitely go if your youngster loves Thomas.

One of the benefits of taking a break between jobs in Japan is the chance to travel around a bit. While I was unemployed, I took frequent trips up to Mt. Fuji and the surrounding area. I became quite familiar with the drive from Kawaguchi-ko to Yamanaka-ko.

Smack-dab in the middle of the way between these two lakes is a Michi-no-eki (route station) where they sell all sorts of locally-produced souvenirs. Just a hop away from the michi-no-eki is Fujiyama Brewery. Despite the so-so reviews at ratebeer.com, the brewery is a welcome respite after driving for 2 and a half hours of stop and go traffic on the Chuo-expressway.

I picked up 3 1-liter cans this time. 2 dunkels for myself and 1 pils for sharing. The pils, as I have come to expect, was uninteresting. The dunkel which I'm drinking tonight is also pretty basic. There is a lot of honey infused giving it a very sweet taste and a lingering aftertaste.

I don't know if I'm sold on it, but at 2 in the morning after a long night's work, it's hitting the spot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home