Lauren In Tokyo

Monday, April 28, 2008

Avocado: Tragedy strikes!

This weekend I transplanted the avocado seedling into a larger pot. The stem has grown to over 10cm and buds which indicate leaf growth are appearing on the stem. It was definitely time to move it to a soil pot.

I intended to take pictures of the avocado in its new home, but as I was grabbing the camera, my son grabbed the avocado and yanked it. The stem broke in half and the roots were slightly damaged. I don't think it is fatal, but the impressive stem is now an unimpressive stub.

I'll have pictures of it soon. Hopefully the exposed wound area doesn't get infected and the growth will continue apace. In some respects, this is similar to pinching, though a bit more aggressive than the typical pinch.

In other news, I pinched off the older avocado plant a week ago and some new leaves are emerging from the stem. If I've learned nothing else, it's that avocados can take a beating and still grow like crazy. I hope this holds true for the broken seedling that we've been watching.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home