Lauren In Tokyo

Tuesday, September 14, 2004

What a foreigner misses

It seems that every expat living over here feels the need to give a list of all the things that he misses from the old country and is not available or poorly replicated in the new country. Me too! These are a few things that I miss about the U.S. and Seattle in particular.

  • Cool weather (neither especially cold nor hot, which seems to be the only two extremes we've got here)
  • Free highways
  • Taco Bell
  • American Pizza (Pizza Hut, Domino's, Papa John's, etc)
  • Krispy Kreme
  • Cheap gas (though I hear that it's not so cheap nowadays)
  • Personable people
  • Natural scenery
  • Relaxed atmosphere
  • Good beer
  • Cheap wine
  • 24-hour supermarkets (there are a couple in northwest Chiba, but it's a pain to get there)
  • Offices with doors
  • Commuting by car
  • Large bookstores
  • Large apartments
  • Sitcoms (I never thought that the lack of braindead television would bother me, but it does)
  • Cheap groceries
  • Havana Joe's
  • Free time

1 Comments:

  • It isn't that I don't like Japanese pizza. In fact, potato, mayonnaise, and crab pizza is my favorite thing to order in when I feel in the mood for some delivery pizza.

    But American pizza with tons of cheese, identifiable pork products, and tasty crusts dripping in oil? Such pizza is not available near my home.

    Costco in Makuhari cooks up some good pizza, but it's all I can do to prevent the wife from buying the seafood pizza.

    By Blogger Lauren Smith, at 3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home