Lauren In Tokyo

Thursday, October 14, 2004

Nikomat EL and my modern lenses

I received a very old Nikomat EL from my uncle a couple months ago and have generally been afraid to mount my lenses on it because it looks like there is a significant amount of mold in the lens that it was originally attached to. I really don't want my newer lenses infected with mold. I finally took it to the Nikon Service Center and they said there was nothing wrong with the camera except for a minor -1/3 metering error, but that's nothing serious. The lens, on the other hand, is shot.

So I got up the gumption today to finally mount one of my lenses on the old hunk of junk. I was worried because it seems that the EL has a metering pin to which a set of "rabbit ears" on the lens fits around and which tells the camera metering system what f-stop is in. Newer Nikons use a "metering ridge" which is built into the backside of the lens mount which essentially does the same thing without a metering pin on the camera body or ridiculous rabbit ears on the lens. I slipped the 28-105 f3.5-5.6 AF into the EL mount and it snapped right into place.

I turned the camera on and the meter jumped to life. I depressed the DOF button and was able to determine that the camera was able to change the f-stop on the lens without trouble. Hooray.

Then when I got to work I realized I hadn't done the most important thing. In all my excitement, I forgot to verify that the camera was metering correctly with the lens. This just means that I needed to watch the meter for changes as I rotated the aperture collar.

I'll have to do that when I get home tonight.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home